WinSCP is one of the best and simple open source free SFTP client, FTP client, WebDAV client and SCP client for Windows OS. This software has many great functions such as file transfer between a local and a remote computer. Beyond this, WinSCP offers scripting and basic file manager functionality. WinSCP is created only for a Windows OS and can’t work on macOS running systems. Some small facts about WinSCP software this applications was wrote using C++, and was created on 2000. It is one of the best SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) and File Transfer Protocol (FTP), and Secure copy (SCP) client for Microsoft Windows.
- Graphical user interface
- Translated into several languages
- Integration with Windows (drag&drop, URL, shortcut icons)
- U3 support
- All common operations with files
- Support for SFTP and SCP protocols over SSH-1 and SSH-2 and plain old FTP protocol
- Batch file scripting and command-line interface
- Directory synchronization in several semi or fully automatic ways
- Integrated text editor
- Support for SSH password, keyboard-interactive, public key and Kerberos (GSS) authentication
- Integrates with Pageant (PuTTY authentication agent) for full support of public key authentication with SSH
- Explorer and Commander interfaces
- Optionally stores session information
- Optionally supports portable operation using a configuration file in place of registry entries, suitable for operation from removable media.
WinSCP leverages cryptography in SSH to secure login information. The primary benefit of the program is that it protects the connection against malicious attacks such as password sniffing.
Users can download the free award-winning application from the official website. Below are steps to install WinSCP on windows operating system.
- After downloading the software, open the “installation package” and save the file to the computer.
- To launch, double-click on the downloaded installer.
- Click on ‘Next’ in the resultant WinSCP setup wizard window.
- Next, users have to accept the license agreement and click on ‘Next.’
- In case of supporting third-party applications, the setup wizard might prompt additional license agreements. Agree and click on Next. Note: Users are not required to install third party applications as WinSCP runs independently without integrating other applications.
- Next, users will have two installing options – Typical or Custom. Generally, it is best to select ‘Typical’ and click on ‘Next.’
- In the resultant window, users have to choose between two interface styles – ‘Commander’ or ‘Explorer.’ Once again, it is best to select the custom option, i.e., Commander interface layout.
- Next, click on ‘Continue’ and WinSCP will install on the computer.
Upon installation of WinSCP, a login window will open automatically. In the resultant window, the user has to add various information of the port they want to connect to such as file protocol, port number, hostname, etc.
It will prompt a form that users have to fill in the following manner.
- File Protocol – the user has to select Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) from the options in the drop-down.
- Host Name – The information is available in the bottom-left part of the cPanel. It provides information such as Server Hostnames, IP Address, and Name Servers.
- Port Number – Type in ‘18765’
- Username and Password – users are required to add their cPanel username and password.
- Once done, click on Login to connect to the account.
- It will prompt a window, Click ‘Yes’ to proceed and not view this warning repeatedly.
- Voila! Users are connected to the account using WinSCP. The right side panel will display files on the account, while the left side will have all files and folders stored in the local computer.
WinSCP Alternative for macOS
WinSCP for mac is not available. However, there are several alternatives that users can choose that similar offer functions as WinSCP.
The most south-out alternatives include FileZilla, Transmit, Cyberduck and Forklift.